Sunday, January 20, 2013

5 Ways to Make Yourself Miserable While Pregnant


http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1372512


  1. Don’t take your prenatal vitamin. Not only are your prenatals essential for your baby’s development, but missing out on your vitamins can make you extra tired, which is often a problem anyway in the third trimester when iron deficiency anemia is a more common problem.  Iron deficiency has also been linked to restless leg syndrome which can start a vicious cycle of disturbing your sleep. I learned this the hard way. Talk to your doctor or midwife if you are having problems with your current prenatal vitamins.  I’m really bad at remembering to take mine, but I notice a difference when I do. I am planning on trying the gummy kind soon. I love gummy vitamins.
  2. Don’t rest enough. If you are tired your body is trying to tell you something. Even a short nap during the day can be essential for some women. Don’t let anyone make you feel guilty for needing a break. Fatigue is extremely common during the first and third trimester. I have started getting tired again lately. I feel like I could nap all day then sleep all night. I feel like my nesting instinct is the only reason I wake up. I remember feeling like I woke up from fog at the end of my first trimester. Sleep while you can, especially if this is your first baby. It won’t be so peaceful next time!
  3. Don’t exercise. Exercise during pregnancy can be a great energy booster. Not to mention my midwife is constantly reminding me that if I don’t stay in shape my labor will be harder.  I’m not the best at this honestly. I had some complications at the beginning of my pregnancy that made it difficult to keep up my active schedule, but I do try to move some every day. Even if it's just a vigorous house cleaning. I try to stretch a lot at a minimum. I make a resolution to start hiking again on a weekly basis.
  4. Skip meals. Skipping meals make your blood sugar drop which can lead to a drop in energy. If I don’t eat I also end up being extremely nauseous, even in my 3rd trimester. I also tend to bite my husbands head off when I am hungry. He learned very quickly that I needed food if I started to get testy. Eating well also help you maintain energy levels and support baby's growth.
  5. Don’t drink enough fluids. Not staying hydrated while pregnant can not only make you feel like crap but is extremely dangerous .  It can be hard to remember to be consistently consuming fluids, but if you don’t you can have a wide variety of outcomes, including premature labor. If you are thirsty you are probably already mildly dehydrated. Right now I am addicted to sparkling waters. I started drinking them in an attempt to quit drinking my beloved sodas. They aren't for everyone though. Some people seem to think they are nasty. I think they are yummy. I’m mostly into sodas for the carbonation though, not the sugar so it depends on what you like. I personally like the fruity La Crouix flavors.

There are plenty more things you can do to make yourself feel pretty miserable while you are pregnant, but I think these are the most common.  I've also been guilty of all of them at some point or another. What bad habit did you stumble into that you didn't realize would have such an affect on you?

No comments:

Post a Comment